Dr. Michele Stefano Piccolo (Michele is pronounced "Meekaylay") is a psychologist and psychoanalyst licensed to practice both in Italy and in New York State with a combined European and American education. Before becoming a psychologist, he worked in the field of Information Technology.
CREDENTIALS - Dr. Piccolo has earned the following degrees and licenses:
- Combined Bachelor and Master's Degree in Psychology (Univ. of Torino, Italy).
- License to practice Psychology in Italy.
- Ph.D. Degree in Clinical Psychology (Univ. of Torino, Italy, with the cooperation of Faculty from Adelphi University, NY).
- License to practice Psychology in New York State.
- Certification in Psychoanalysis from IPTAR , New York.
- Member of the IPA , International Psychoanalytical Association .
- Member of the BPS , British Psychological Society .
AFFILIATIONS - Dr. Piccolo's affiliations in New York are:
- Certified Psychoanalyst from IPTAR – Institute for Psychoanalytic Training and Research, New York.
- Faculty at The Psychoanalytic Training Institute of the NYCGS - New York Counseling and Guidance Service , New York (instructor for on-field interns from NYU).
- Faculty for the international "CyberLectures in Psychoanalysis" for the Contemporary Freudian Society (on-line instructor for psychologists and psychiatrists in South Korea, Taiwan and other countries).
DOCTORAL - Dr. Piccolo's doctoral dissertation focused on the link between linguistic measures and specific emotional states within speech segments recorded in therapy sessions. It emphasizes the role of body language in psychotherapy. His research was supervised by professors from the University of Torino, Italy and from Adelphi University, NY.
POSTDOCTORAL - Dr. Piccolo's postdoctoral training focused on psychoanalysis. His psychoanalytic training has taken place at IPTAR, one of New York's most rigorous programs in the field, affiliated with the International Psychoanalytical Association .
- Member, International Psychoanalytical Association ( www.ipa.world ) .
- Member, National Register of Health Service Psychologists ;
- Member, American Psychological Association ( www.apa.org ) ;
- Member, New York State Psychological Association ( www.nyspa.org ) ;
- Member, Associazione Italiana di Psicologia ;
- Member, Division of Psychoanalysis of the American Psychological Association ;
- Member, William James Society .
- Member, British Psychological Society .
Piccolo M.S. (2020) How has the Pandemic affected my practice? CIPS Newsletter . June 2020.
Piccolo M.S. (2019) Listening to Somatosensory States in Psychoanalysis: Body, Trauma, and Poetry , Psychoanalytic Inquiry , 39:8, 557-570. DOI: 10.1080/07351690.2019.1671070.
Schimmenti A. & Piccolo M.S. (2011). Il contesto relazionale: intervista a Lewis Aron [Relational Context and Psychoanalytic Linkings: An Interview with Lewis Aron] . Interazioni , 32 (1):111-135.
Piccolo M.S. (2011). Report on: IPTAR Investigative Series - January 29, 2011, “Psychological Enslavement” . Manifest Content, The IPTAR Newsletter . 12 (7): 6-7.
Piccolo M.S. (2011). Il fraseggio del corpo in psicoterapia. alcune riflessioni a partire dalla teoria delle emozioni di William James [The Phrasing of The Body in Psychotherapy: Remarks from William James’ Theory of Emotions]. Psicoterapia e Scienze Umane . 45 (4): 499-522
Piccolo M.S. & Cassullo G. (2011). Between Cure and Literature: An Interview with Leonard Shengold . International Forum of Psychoanalysis, 20 (1): 53-62.
Piccolo M. S. (2011). Psychological Enslavement, Simposio dell’Institute for Psychoanalytic Research di New York, 29 gennaio 2011 . Rivista di Psicoanalisi , 2011, LVI, 3, «RivistaPSAinrete».
Cassullo G. & Piccolo M.S. (2010). An Interview with Theodore J. Jacobs. International Forum of Psychoanalysis , 19 (4): 240-245.
Lombardi, R. (2019). Developing a Capacity for Bodily Concern: Antonio Damasio and the Psychoanalysis of Body-Mind Relationship . Psychoanalytic Inquiry , (forthcoming).
Granieri A. & Schimmenti A. (2014) Mind–body splitting and eating disorders: a psychoanalytic perspective , Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy , 28:1,52-70, DOI: 10.1080/02668734.2013.872172
D'Agostino G. (2011). Analytic listening as a holding function of the dissociated parts of the patient . International Forum of Psychoanalysis , 20:31-37.
Borgogno F. (2009). ‘Psychoanalysis as a Journey’: My Clinical Way of Transmission . Presented at the meeting of the European Psychoanalytic Federation, Bruxelles, April 2009.
Borgogno F. (2009). The “Journey” and Reception of a Questionnaire about the Relation between Psychoanalysts and University in Europe . Presented at the meeting of the International Psychoanalytical Association, Chicago, July 2009.
Borgogno F. (2009). Ferenczi, the “Introjective Psychoanalyst”. Presented at the International Sándor Ferenczi Conference, Buenos Aires, October 2009.
Borgogno F. (2008). Notes and Fragments of a Psychoanalytic Vocation. Interview with Franco Borgogno by Christopher Fortune. Presented at the meeting of the Western Branch Canadian Psychoanalytic Society, Vancouver, March 2007. Published in The American Journal of Psychoanalysis , 2008, 68, pp. 69–99.